The following newspaper ad describes why Lingayats want a separate religion status. It eventually boils down to article 30 and 93rd amendment which gives special rights to minorities to start their educational institutions free from government babu control.
- Lingayat Educational Institutions can not be shut down arbitrarily by government the way government shuts down other Hindu school/colleges.
- Lingayat Edu institutions can have their own admission criteria instead of government forced criteria.
- They can give reservation to their community. (50% mentioned in ad)
- They can charge whatever fee they want.
- RTE does not apply to their schools which means their schools would be cheaper and better.
None of these benefits are available to a Hindu in this country as Indian constitutions gives these benefits to only minorities.