The Augharnath Mandir has played a distinctive role during the struggle for freedom and more particularly, the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857. During the British rule, the Indian army was called ‘Kali Paltan’ (black army). Due to its proximity to the army barrack, it came to be known as the ‘Kali Paltan Mandir.’ The presiding deity of the temple emerged on its own. Local tales reveal that the ‘Shiva-linga’ gracing the temple appeared on its own. This is a miracle that has been attracting devotees of Lord Shiva ever since its inception.
The local priests even say that the great Maratha rulers used to offer their obeisance here before proceeding with their victory processions. Every inch of this temple is soaked in history that has witnessed the struggle of noted freedom fighters and has also being a part of major revolutions jolting the very roots of British rule in India. However, until recently the Augharnath Mandir only had a small structure, surrounded by a huge cluster of trees and a nearby well that quenched the thirst of the freedom fighters. The Augharnath Mandir is now placed in a grand complex built with modern architecture. There is also a hexagonal hall to perform religious ceremonies. Do spot the 4.5 kg gold plated Pitcher installed at the spire of the temple.